Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dreams do come true

Twelve years ago, I dreamt of being interviewed at the US Embassy in khaki Dockers slacks and a lace sleeveless collared blouse, oh and in an Our Tribe dwarf looking sandals. Ha! Ha! I was very insistent that my mother should don me in that for my interview. So she did. I went. The consul was so skeptic in granting me a visa, who wouldn't. I basically didn't have very solid reasons to come back other than my mom. I was fresh out of college, penniless, landless, zero zip nada. The only weapon I had, which I take pride of is my honesty and wit. 

If my memory serves me right, it took a long time to convince the consul I was coming back. He was so insistent that it is not yet time for me to visit the United States. Indignantly, I told him, "if I don't travel now, it will no longer be a graduation gift" ... which is truly the reason of that travel. I am somehow lucky to have grandparents who believe in giving rewards. Me and my cousins were promised, that upon graduation, as long as we obtain our visas, our grandparents will send us to the US. You can imagine how I crumble a little as the time ticks while I was standing in front of the stern consul. And when he hands me the pink paper indicating where to pay for the courier who shall send my passport, seriously, I wanted to grab him and plant a kiss on his cheek.

Three years ago, it was time that the mister and the little one has to get their own visas. This time the embassy looks different, the procedures are somewhat different too. But the feeling of butterflies in my tummy was still the same. The US Embassy is one place where you basically cannot predict what would happen next. And for that reason, I always have this feeling that  I can talk to anyone with no fears or inhibitions because years back I swayed a very stern consul in granting me a 10 year multiple entry visa. And zoning back, I think I passed on to the little one the weapons I had years back. On the first station, little one says "good morning, thank you for my visa!" Teehee! The officer in charge tells the little one, "not yet, sweetheart, not in this window". Second station, little one again says "good morning, thank you for my visa" , the officer tells the little one "not in this window!" And I am all yikes! Is that a sign already? But then you know, like what I've said, the interview is very unpredictable, its not the amount of money you show, the connections you have, the properties you own... And after a few minutes of waiting for our turn for the interview, our number was called. Here goes... consul asks why were there only two passports, told him I already had a visa. He looks at the little one and asks, whats your name?, who's your mommy? who's your daddy? Then asks Ace with eyebrows a little raised, "Why is it that you are an architect and yet you do cakes?" Ha! Ha! 
Yeah Ace, why? Teehee! We weren't asked to show documents of anything. Then the consul hands us a pink slip and tells us Visa will arrive in a few days. Woot!

So my friends, I know that most of you dread being interviewed at the US Embassy. Here are my few pointers, based on experience, if you do intend to obtain a US visa.

1. Take the earliest schedule. - Nothing frazzles nerves more than being late or having others go before you. Sitting in agony is just a no no. And believe me, falling in line for an hour, doing the routine in another hour, then sitting down to wait for your interview in another hour, and doing the interview in darn 30 seconds? Excuse me! You'll all be nuts by that time. 

2. Do not stammer. - Be confident in answering questions. Witty as I am, I prepare myself for interviews. I come up with possible questions,and I answer myself aloud! Teehee! Practice makes perfect. But of course, be alert and understand what your consul if asking you. Don't go off tangent. I remember a story of a friend's friend where the consul asked if was she single... and she goes yes I can sing. Teehee!

3. Do not EVER let your consul get you, get HIM. - start the conversation, like "Hi! Good Morning! Hope you're having a great day!" 

4. Answer only what is asked. - Do not divulge any other information other than what is asked and unless you really need to explain further. But be concise. Straight to the point. Never off tangent.

5. Be honest. - Answer the questions as truthful as possible. Don't ever try to make up far fetched stories. And for heavens sake, don't shove your passbook with a one million peso balance! Be it honestly earned or not. Because at times some are just nuts to have these "show money" where in fact, these consuls have already background checked you in a way. How in heavens sake would you have one million if you wouldn't even earn 50k in a year. Something like that. 

6. Storm the heavens. - Like I said, the embassy is unpredictable as the weather.

Alright, that's it. Lest I forget, if you do dream of a certain outfit you need to wear for the interview, do so. Unless of course, it is outrageously outrageous. Teehee!

Dreams do come true, right? Sigh! Now, in a few days, the heavens is paving a way to make another of ours  come true. See you real soon, Uncle Sam!



No comments:

Post a Comment