Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

BMW or Toyota?


When something is gnawing inside me for at least two days, I think it merits a post.

Two nights ago, I was asked for a cake quote. So I did, then the client asks me "why is it that you are pricier than X?"

To be honest, I was appalled... yet I had to compose myself and not go on a tirade. The benefit of the doubt that maybe she didn't know truly why except for the obvious (which I hoped, but then I guess not) that when you put our cakes side by side... you'd know.

So I am going to answer why would our cakes be pricier than maybe other bakers. It takes a day to bake the cakes, and another day in preparing its frosting. Now if we are lucky, we can finish decorating one wedding cake in a day. Time translates to costs, on top of the other resources you consume.The pillow cake below was rushed, and when you do something "RUSHED" you double all your resources - that is  the number of people working on one project just so you catch up with the deadline. Now on a non-rushed cake, it takes myself, the mister, 3 of our staff to work on a cake. What more for a rushed cake, right? And in making these cakes that we do, we put in so much time in working on them. Believe me, there is nothing that comes out lovely without so much thought and effort.

Why? Why do we go through all of that? Because we have to be worth every penny you pay. And I do not champion mediocrity. If it can be an allergy, then by all means, I have an allergy to that. As much as I am pleased with praises on what we do, if I hear even the most minute criticism on what we do, it gets to me. But no worries because I do not fight back with catty remarks or so, but rather, it gives me the stronger need to be better.

I guess, I went too lengthy on my thoughts where in fact, the easiest to illustrate this scenario would be... would you ask why a BMW is pricier than a Toyota? No I suppose not and we may not yet be a BMW but I intend to be one, one cake at a time. And in my opinion, we are not pricey at all... it is even cheap with the quality and effort we put  in on whatever custom cake you want us to do. And please... if we compare, can we at least try to compare a Beemer from a Mercedes. Wink!






And lest I forget, my answer to the question was "We don't do things half baked". I hope she did understand that and not take it literally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment