Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Seven questions and answers on our 7th year!







As we turn 7 this month, I am sharing with you seven business related questions I was tasked to answer. It's a little off tangent for an anniversary post but nonetheless I'm sharing it. And let me thank you now for supporting us all these years and the years to come, for I am already lost on how I am going to end this post. Teehee!

Here goes...

What inspired or motivated you to become a baker?
I actually wanted to skip the first part of cake making, which is that to become a baker first then a cake artist. But going back, the reason for all these loveliness is because of our little one Ava. I wanted pretty monthly cakes for him. Since I took a few days of cake decorating workshops a few years before we had him, it was an opportunity to put it into practice.

Tell us the day in the life of a baker?
A normal day would start with me and Ace readying Ava for school then dropping him off. In between everything, we talk about design concepts for future projects and the cakes need be done that day. We bake in the morning, then decorate after. If by chance that we don't have a cake schedule for that day, we laze within the confines of our room. And right, still in between everything, we talk about design concepts. It is very challenging to think of concepts, new or spin offs.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of working for yourself?
It is actually a love hate relationship working for yourself. Loving how we get to work at our own pace, hating how even after supposed to be work hours, my brain is still in work mode.

What has been your greatest challenge so far?
I think the greatest challenge we've ever undertaken as a team was when we had 7 wedding cakes in a day, then another 8 the following day. The challenge there was not only the quantity but to make sure it was all equally lovely and delicious. It was quite nerve wrecking to schedule baking and decorating times. Did I mention that aside from cakes we also do event styling? Right, we shudder together!

What advice would you give to someone starting a business?
Seven years is not quite that long for me to have so much wisdom on this. In everything, start something for the right reasons and not just because. And a little something we live by every time, is that we try, super try to give more than what is expected and to be honest in every dealing that we do.

What is your ultimate goal and has this changed since you started?
When we we're starting, the only goal I had set was to be able to make cakes, lovely cakes, that once people see lovely cakes in this part of the universe, they'll know that it came from Ava's cakes. Again, I am thankful that we are blessed, we were gifted with that and more.

How big a role does social media have in your business?
I believe we are maximizing the benefits of Facebook and Instagram quite well. It spreads the word much quickly. It is a media where you could post your projects and get real time feed backs from clients. And it also serves as our control, making sure that we try to make everything satisfactory so we avoid unsatisfied clients dissing us through this mediums too. It's a cheap yet very effective way of advertising what we have to offer.




No comments:

Post a Comment