Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

First day of school

Six years ago, when I gave birth to my Ava, the only concern I had was on how I will be able to earn enough to buy not only his needs but his wants. I wanted nice stuff for my Ava. Even before he was born I was pestering relatives to buy me baby stuff from the US. I even ordered a plaid pink and black dress with an oversized cabbage rose for we were expecting him to be a she. Ayayay! I was so clueless. I forgot I myself didn't have the best of everything, but the best my mom could give and yet I think she did just great in raising me.

It dawned me, that the greatest challenge we have is not giving him financial security to finish his choice course in college, sending him to a nice dorm, or so... But being able to rear him as a good mannered, level headed, smart individual. There are crazy parents who get to have good offsprings, some have equally crazy ones like them. Some parents, straight, a goody goody one, may have good ones like them or a recessive black sheep. Oh my! There is just no technique nor formula.




This morning, we made it a point to drop him off in school. The messenger bag was his personal choice. He said, he is a big boy already. I chose his lunchbox, fuel bag! So apt! One of the traits I love from Ava is his personal choices of his things. He likes to be a little man. And he likes to be different. I hope he grows up to be different on a positive light, not dorky weird different.

My constant reminder to Ava today and the days to come, is that whenever he is with elders, he be polite, when he is playing with others, he should learn to take turns, and to never never hit anyone. I told him that when someone hits him, he should run and tell to teacher. Though at times, I want him to fight back. =( I hope parents would not tolerate their kids to be bullies. The school won't be a safe place.

And now I'm sounding paranoid. Time flew so fast. He is already in 1st grade. My little one in a swarm of other kids. I hope he gets to run the school grounds with no fear. I hope he gets to understand his lessons. I hope we don't need to get a tutor other than me. I hope he gets to shine in school like he does in mommy's eyes. I seriously hope he'll do just fine. Just like how mommy and daddy breezed through school. My little star... My little boy... My little one.

- kit m.

No comments:

Post a Comment